Stonewall Youth is an organization of youth, activists, and allies that empowers lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans, queer, questioning, intersex, and asexual (LGBTQQIA) youth to speak for themselves, educate their communities, and support each other.
The Community Director works collaboratively with Stonewall Youth staff, volunteers and interns to direct the Stonewall Youth Drag Show Extravaganza Summer Theater Program. The position of Community Director is a part-time, 4 month long position beginning early in June and ending in Mid October. The Director will be compensated with a $1,000.00 stipend with the completion of the project. Applicant must be available for rehearsals many evenings and weekends.
A Little History About the Stonewall Youth Drag Show Theater Program:
Stonewall Youth has been performing annual Drag Shows since 2000. This is an opportunity for queer youth to get on stage and share their talent with the community. Every year the show grows larger, gets more creative and draws larger audiences.
The Drag Show began as a series of amazing queer performers showing off their talents in individual acts. Since then, it has taken on many different forms – from cabaret style performances to full-scale musical productions with a live band. In 2007 Stonewall Youth started working with local artists, interns and volunteers, to help direct the show and spur the creation of new and original ideas.
The goal of Stonewall’s Drag Show Extravaganza Summer Theater Program is to provide a space for queer youth to express themselves, as well as send a message to the larger community about the issues they face on a regular basis. Stonewall uses this production as a way of educating the community, as well as a fundraiser for the organization.
To apply please submit your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by 5pm Wednesday, May 30th 2012. The applicant chosen will be expected to start in early June. In your cover letter please address why you feel you would be a good fit for the position of Community Director and your experience working with queer youth and/or community theater as well as any other special qualities you feel make you extra qualified for this job.
Community Director Job Duties
- Work with 15 to 20 queer and allied youth to produce a piece of theater that is youth centered and takes many different points of view and opinions;
- Recruit community volunteers to help with the program.
- Work with and delegate duties to volunteers/interns who will support the Director in their work.
- Plan the agenda and facilitate weekly meeting/rehearsals for the youth participants
- Plan relevant workshops for the participants in the Drag Show program so they can learn various techniques of theater, the history of drag, etc;
- Attend weekly logistic meetings and take on some logistical tasks such as coordinating volunteers, rehearsals, etc.;
- Facilitate the scriptwriting process with some of the participants;
- Create/collaborate with volunteers and youth on dance choreography;
- Create/collaborate with volunteers and youth on songwriting and music;
- Facilitate set design and costuming;
- Facilitate stage direction;
- Communicate clearly with Stonewall staff.
- Manage and update Drag Show budget, including keeping receipts and a running list of expenses; and
- Assist in outreach activities with other communities (Centralia, Seattle, etc.) with the goal of performing in multiple venues.
- A commitment to amplifying the voices of queer youth and their allies.
- Ability to work and play within the theatre environment;
- Ability to work collaboratively with youth;
- The ability to work within tight timeframes and a limited budget; and
- A flexible schedule.
- Experience in theater production;
- Experience in scriptwriting;
- Knowledge of dance choreography, or a connection to people who have those skills;
- Well connected to the community;
- Strong organizational skills;
- Strong leadership skills;
- Experience as a facilitator with LGBTQQIA youth;
- A background in anti-oppression facilitation; and
- Experience in conflict resolution.
Stonewall Youth will support the Community Director by:
- Coordinating with the Capitol Theater to rent space;
- Recruiting youth to be a part of the production.
- Working with Community Director to produce event within a balance budget;
- Working with Community Director to publicize event, including creating a flyer, doing outreach and publicity in the community and online;
- Working with Community Director to provide adequate volunteer support;
- Working with Community Director, and others, to provide food /supplies for rehearsals;
- Cultivating event sponsorships;
- Coordinating fundraising aspect of the Drag Show (stage portion that includes a community “ask”, tabling at the event, Board involvement, etc.);